The San Mateo County Parks Foundation has an opening for a fundraising/administrative professional. The Membership and Communications Coordinator works closely with the Executive Director to support fundraising growth and enhance the donor experience.
San Mateo County Parks Foundation inspires people to care for, learn about and enjoy San Mateo County Parks. Unlike neighboring counties, San Mateo County does not have a dedicated funding source to provide for county parks improvements and outdoor recreational programming. So, in 1998, the San Mateo County Parks Foundation was established to provide additional financial support for the recreational, environmental and educational programs and projects of the San Mateo County Parks Department. There are 23 parks in the San Mateo County Parks system, including a marina, two historic sites, a marine protected area and old growth redwoods.
Over the last 20 years, the San Mateo County Parks Foundation has supported a range of programs and projects including:
- Bicycle Sunday
- the Bill and Jean Lane Education Center at Edgewood Park and Natural Preserve
- the reintroduction of the Bay checkerspot butterfly to Edgewood Park and Natural Preserve
- Youth environmental field trips to the parks
- The protection of Mirada Surf on the coast
- New trail signs in all County parks
The San Mateo County Parks Foundation is governed by a volunteer board of directors and has one full-time staff member, the Executive Director.
The Membership and Communications Coordinator supports all administrative aspects of the Parks Foundation’s fundraising programs and donor relations, with particular attention to maintaining the donor database, which is Salesforce. This flexible, part-time position (20 hours a week) is great for someone who loves parks and seeks an opportunity to develop their non-profit fundraising skills. Our office is located in Coyote Point Park in San Mateo, California, but in a time of COVID-19, this is partly a work from home position. The position calls for comfort and skill in using new technologies, a high attention to detail, excellent time management skills, and an ability to work independently to ensure that all duties are completed accurately, efficiently, and with high quality.
- Process all incoming gifts, prepare deposit slips, and issue appropriate acknowledgment letters in a timely manner, including for all individual donors, foundations, corporations and donor-advised funds.
- Manage all aspects of the foundation’s development database (Salesforce) including accurate data entry and clean-up, report and mailing list development, solicitor tracking, and production of regular reports for fundraising campaigns.
- Determine proper coding for incoming donations.
- Create and maintain written instructions related to the duties of the position, including but not limited to donation coding, processing, generating letters, etc.
- Sync up emails between Salesforce and Mailchimp.
- Elevate San Mateo County Parks Foundation’s social media presence; manage all accounts, assist in developing social media strategies, help with content creation and curation, and moderate and drive conversations
- Manage website updates to ensure content is fresh and timely, including creating home page sliders, editing copy and images, and other tasks as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- AA/BA/BS degree
- 2-3 years of professional experience in a role requiring acute attention to detail
- Working knowledge and appreciation of Salesforce strongly preferred
- Strong knowledge of social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn)
- Technological proficiency in: WordPress, Adobe Suite, Microsoft Office suite and email marketing tools (MailChimp, etc.)
- Integrity, and the ability to handle sensitive information with precision and in a confidential manner
- Ability to interact effectively with the Executive Director, donors, board members and volunteers
- Ability to work independently with little supervision
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Enthusiasm for the mission of the San Mateo County Parks Foundation
- A self-starter, data and deadline driven, and ability to multi-task with solid organizational and time-management skills
- Clean background check
Salary and Benefits
The hourly wage is $24-$26/hour, depending on experience. The position is 20 hours a week with a flexible schedule.
How to Apply:
Please email a cover letter and resume to Michele@SupportParks.org with “Membership and Communications Coordinator” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.